Tuesday, February 06, 2007

You'd think a ski mountaineer would be concerned with global warming, but...

This week Lou Dawson, (right) author, blogger and Colorado backcountry skiing godfather, says in his latest self-proclaimed "enviro rant" that "I believe global warming is happening but don’t feel it can be stopped any more than we can stop world hunger. Slowed down perhaps, but not stopped. I don’t blame global warming for every interesting weather event, or for my headaches. I also believe global warming is being used as a political power base and as a fear tactic to manipulate people."

I've met and spoken with Dawson on a few occasions and he has always struck me as a thoughtful, sensible person. On many of his environmental arguments, I see his point of view. He's especially hard on the non-motorized "hypocrites" who decry the use of Jeeps and ATVs on trails, but don't think twice about driving 300 miles to bike 10 in Moab.

But I'm not won over on global warming. I've never taken a hard stance on whether I think it's happening or not, or whether it's caused by humans or not. But here's the thing: Even if you don't believe in it, the cure is good for many other ills, and you'll wind up with cleaner air, fewer oil wells, more efficiency, more renewable energy, less smog, less waste. Seems like a good idea, whether you think the ski is falling or not. And if your passion and livelihood are based on snow, might be a good idea to hedge your bets.

No comments: