Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Whoops, they did it again

I forgot to share the latest Cheyenne Mountain State Park delay.
The park, which was purchased in 2000, and was slated to open in 2003, then 2004, then 2005. Well, you get the idea. In 2006, the park held a grand opening with a ribbon cutting and all kinds of top brass. But the park didn't really open then. It stayed on a weekends-only schedule and the visitor's center stayed closed while workers finished putting in roads and other infrastructure.

Anyway... a two weeks ago I got this email from State Parks:

Cheyenne Mountain State Park celebrates Visitor Center opening

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.—Cheyenne Mountain State Park will be hosting a Visitor Center Open House on Sunday, Aug. 12, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Open House will celebrate the opening day of the Visitor Center and gift shop and will be a preemptive kick off to Aug. 13, when Cheyenne Mountain State Park will have new hours and be open on a daily basis.
The open house will include door prizes, giveaways, special discounts, park information, guided hikes, refreshments and free soft drinks for the first 200 visitors provided by Coca Cola and fun activities for the entire family.


I thought to myself: great, finally.

Then, a minute later, I got this message:

Parksnews would like to recall the message, "News Release: Cheyenne Mountain State Park celebrates Visitor Center opening".

I should have known.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was glad I didn't tell too many people about the grand opening once I heard it was a no go. Maybe by the end of the year they will pull it off. Good thing we have plenty of other great open spaces to enjoy.

otowi said...

Actually, they did have it - I was there!

Dena Rosenberry said...

Wait,
So they sent the release to us and then retracted it and then held some sort of event, anyway?

What was it like?

brownie said...

Will there ever be a trail up to the top of Cheyenne Mountain? Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath with that park...