Wednesday, August 15, 2007

It's berry pickin' season


Dave is out and about, but shares this:
The wet weather of August is always the best time to go picking wild raspberries, those perfect little red fruits with a fierce, woodsy flavor that's quite distinct from their plastic package siblings at the store.

(Those aren't wild raspberries, above, they're the ones growing in my backyard. -- Dena.)

Some people have told me over the years that we should leave the berries for the birds and the bears, and I agree. So when I go, I never collect any fruit to take home. I just pick them one at a time and pop them directly into my mouth. That way, I never eat too many, and there are always plenty left over.

Some favorite spots for gathering: near St. Mary's falls, along Ruxton Creek, up on the Pipeline Trail from Barr trail to Artist's Glen. But you can find them anywhere there's good sun and moisture.

Know any other good spots?

9 comments:

UltraRob said...

Bear Creek Trail off High Drive always has good berries. In fact there's generally a lot right along the road.

Anonymous said...

mmmm MMMM! We picked and nibbled raspberries as we walked through the burned portion of Goose Creek in Lost Creek Wilderness. The burn area is coming along just fine!

Anonymous said...

BTW the thimbleberries are coming into season too, and chokecherry wine is delicious. Mm!MMM!Mm! ROAR! Look out bears you're gonna be sharing with Zen!

Anonymous said...

I know where a good patch of dingleberries are. Then again, those are always in season.

Anonymous said...

damn, berrypicker beat me to the punch by 4 hours. I would like to try some of that chokecherry wine.

Anonymous said...

I tried bringing some home in a bag once, but they were so delicate that the ones on the top crushed the ones on the bottom with bad results. So I agree with Dena's approach for practical reasons as well as care for the bears.

Anonymous said...

Leave them for the bears!!!??? C'mon people...bears don't eat or care about berries! They are man-eating killing machines!

This is just more of your pro-bear agenda.

Anonymous said...

Berry eating bears are cuddly and sweet and smell berrylicious. I like to sneak up on them and hug them from behind. We always have a tickle fight afterwards.

the knitrider said...

anywhere along cheyenne creek!