Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Thought biking season was over? Think again.

It's going to be 70 degrees today, and tomorrow, and Thursday, and generally really nice for the meteorologically foreseeable future. I rode the Buckhorn/Captain Jacks loop in Cheyenne Canyon on Saturday and only encountered a hint of snow. The trail is 99.5 percent clear.

The next day I rode the Falcon Trail at the Air Force Academy. It had a lot more snow, even though it's lower. Still, I'd say it was 85 percent clear, and melting fast.

So, in the interest of keeping fat-tire fanatics thinking about bikes, I throw this out there:

Trails.com's top 10 mountain bike rides in Colorado

Telluride to Moab Hut to Hut, Telluride, CO
Buchanan Pass / Camp Dick Loop, Boulder, CO
Monarch Crest Trail, Salida, CO
Barr Trail, Manitou Springs, CO
Wise Mountain / The Colorado Trail, Frisco, CO
Buffalo Creek Big Ride, Pine, CO
Colorado Trail / Green Mountain Trail, Buffalo Creek, CO
Buck Gulch Trail Loop, Denver, CO
Chutes and Ladders, Fruita, CO
The Colorado Trail: Kenosha Pass to Goldhill Trailhead, Jefferson, CO


What do you think? OK, sure, any "top 10" list is going to come up short, but I can't think of a single person who would rate Barr Trail as a top bike ride in the area. And in all the times I've been to Fruita, I have never heard people rave about Chutes and Ladders. Good trail, sure, but nothing compared to Horse Thief Bench or Zippity Doo Dah. And holy-moly, nothing in Crested Butte?

So... I'm taking suggestions, what are really the top 10 bike trails in the state? Discuss.

No comments: