Friday, October 06, 2006

We have the results of last week's rock climbing comp

The overall winner for the men was Jason Waldman, 23, who walked away with a new climbing rope courtesy of Sterling Ropes.

The women's overall winner was Lindsay Watson, 23, who won a climbing helmet from Trango, a gift certificate to Mountain Chalet and a chalk bag. It was Lindsay's sixth time climbing ever. When she turned in her scoresheet, she told me, "I think I did better than I thought I was going to. I thought I might be in the beginner category but after my climbs, I might actually be in intermediate." Turns out she won the category.

The competition had 27 folks show up and climb, ranging in age from 11 to 51. The competition started at 10 AM and went until 3 PM. Climbers could do as many climbs as they wanted but would only be scored on their top 10. We gave them a scoresheet and a guidebook and turned them loose. Climbing competitions work on the honor system - if you say you did a climb without falling and get someone to witness it, that's enough for us.

The most climbs were completed by Clay McGann who did 12 climbs. Jason Waldman completed the most difficult climb, "The Seminar," rated 5.11(c) which earned him 1,365 points.

Lisa Bausum, 11, was the youngest competitor.

No comments: