Monday, March 10, 2008

Three days to Pikes Peak sign-up

I ran to Barr Camp yesterday (very snowy above No Name Creek) and talked for a few minutes with caretakers Teresa and Neal. They weren't the first to tell me stories of being left out by the new registration criteria for the Ascent. Basically, you have to have a qualifying time in the race in the last five years, or in another marathon or half marathon. Neal is a superb ultra-runner. He has placed in the top 10 in the Hardrock 100, the toughest race in the state. But he hasn't run the Ascent or any marathons or half marathons in the last five years, so he doesn't qualify for the race. The new regulations were designed to cut less ambitious runners from flooding the race sign-up. We'll see how well it works, but it's too bad it inadvertently kept out some folks who would more than qualify in terms of fitness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is sort of a shame. I understand the intent, but part of the joy was some duffer could get out there and try his or her hand at it for the entry fee. Some made it, some didn't, but at least they got the chance to try. There should be some lottery for a subset of the entries for "none of the above." After all, if you take the race away from the everyday slub the lure of this 'local' race may go right along with it. Matt Carpenter may have a VO2 rating of a mountain sheep, but give Joe Six Pack a run at it.

Anonymous said...

I'm coming from the same place as Joe. I get that it's mostly the hard core runners who do all the work for the race. The question is, are they doing it as a way of giving back to the community, or because they want a teh awesome race for themselves?

Dave Philipps said...

The awesome race for themselves. I have to say as a perennial in the top 30, this race is a highlight of my summer. I love it. And I love that people of all abilities take it very seriously.

Anonymous said...

I thought SpringsSpree was the highlight of your summer?