Monday, December 31, 2007

I'm trapped in Summit County, and the skiing is great

Actually, the road just opened about an hour ago, but I-70 and Highway 9 were closed all day due to blowing snow and avalanche danger.  I have a friend who patrols at Breck who said they recorded a gust of 104 mph.  Yikes. That and temperatures hovering around 0 degrees helped keep what should have been a crazy busy day on the slopes somewhat sane, or even sparse.
On a run at Breckenridge in the afternoon, I found myself totally alone on an untracked (if wind loaded) slope.  It was awesome, but I think I may lose a bit of skin off my nose from the cold temps.
Oh, by the way, happy new year. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Dave, Dena and crew.

Brian said...

Hi Dave,

Happy New Year. Pop Quiz in the Gazette was really funny. Nice writing. I read it to my wife for a while laughing and thought- "This can't be Dave Philipps...", looked at the byline, and what do you know.

Enjoy the snow.