Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The beauty of slow lifts

I took a day off Tuesday and hit Monarch. The hill hadn't seen significant snow for days, and yet, we were able to get fresh tracks in a few spots.
There's something nice about skiing at a place where you don't feel like you have to rush to get the skiing before all the good snow is gone. Even been in Vail's China Bowl on a weekend powder day. The freshies are devoured in minutes.
At Monarch, apparently, they stay for days.

6 comments:

Teleken said...

Most people complain the runs are too short at Monarch and I always reply "Enjoy Summit County on a weekend."

Most People said...

The runs are too short at Monarch.

AndyW said...

Two things:

1 - 90 percent of Monarch was wind-packed crust. The other 10 percent was some nice, but heavy powder (if that's the right term) in the trees and a few spots in Mirkwood.

2 - Dave for some reason did not post the photo of him on his ass after a tumble through said powder. Even though he promised he would.

Consider yourselves informed.

zen said...

Wait... Dave broke a promise? Does his mom know? :)

Dave's Mom said...

Dave,

I'm so disappointed.

Dave Philipps said...

I'd like to point out that the powder wasn't too heavy, a certain poster just skis on the tails of his skis.