I only see one thing shocking in the overview: Activity among girls 6-17 dropped sharply.
That's the time to get kids out trying sports and finding activities they love and will continue with throughout their lives. Parents, we really need to do a better job!
The report is based on a survey of more than 60,000 Americans ages 6 and older.
• Participation by all ages has been steady over time in the five “gateway” outdoor activities that attract the most participants: Bicycling (any type), Camping (backyard, car or RV), Fishing (any type), Hiking (day), Running/ jogging/ trail running
• As we get older we participate in fewer outdoor activities and for less time.
• Although the vast majority of Americans of all ages are trying outdoor activities, only 26% of participants engaged in one of 35 select outdoor activities two times a week or more over the last year.
• Boys' activity remains steady until they're 17-18, at which time their activity drops.
• Skateboarders age 6-24 are more than twice as likely to bicycle (any type) than those of the same age who do not skateboard. (If they're like me at that age, at the very least they have to ride to get to the skatepark!)
To see the entire report, check the group's Web site.