Thursday, February 22, 2007

Capri pants for men?

There's a funny thread on http://www.14ers.com/ today about whether men should wear capri pants.
It begins: While hiking in Switzerland last fall, I noticed a lot of European men in Capri pants ... Recently, in a climbing gym, I noticed some men wearing Capri pants ... And downtown Boulder yesterday, I saw a man in Capri pants. Perhaps I'm out of style, but I could never see myself wearing Capri pants. I just don't see the point (if it's cold, wear pants; if it's warm, wear shorts; if you can't decide, wear zip-offs) ... and I can't get over the fact that Capri pants were originally made for women, and have been for some time (until recently). Does anyone here wear these things? And, if so, please enlighten me on the function and/or fashion advantages. Perhaps I'm missing something.
The question drew considerable response, most agreeing that capris were for sissy metrosexuals. But wait a minute. Call them capris, or shants, or culottes... this half pants used to be de rigeur for mountaineers. They were called knickers back then. They were made of wool. And if you called a guy like Edmund Hillary or Robert Ormes a sissy for wearing them, you might get a hob-nail boot to the skull.

8 comments:

Dena Rosenberry said...

Dave, we just talked about this. If I'd gotten a clear shot of the guy I'd include it. He was 20something and at the Carnivale parade in Manitou on Saturday. Wearing capris, not knickers. No lose fit here. Tight. Denim. To the knee. With Vans and no socks. And a cap-sleeve T-shirt. He was no Edmund Hillary. Come to think of it, he might have looked in place in Nice. Or maybe Milan.

Anonymous said...

I will not endorse the wearing of Capri pants.

Anonymous said...

TIGHT denim capris with a cap sleeve tee you say. At Carnivale in Manitou you say. He might also look in place on Polk Street or in Cheesman park. Not that I'm judging.

Hobnail boots are for pansies. I can climb Everest in my sleep. No really.

:0)

Anonymous said...

Capri pants obviously draw eyes to the lower body, and with harem pants this is good thing, however proud you are to have lower half on display. The beauty of harem pants is in the way they tend to drape over the hips and thighs while hugging close to knees and shins.

work trousers

Unknown said...

Hi. I read a few of your other posts and i wanted to say thank you for the informative posts.
Plus Size Sarong

rocks2010 said...

Well, I am so excited that I have found this your post because I have been searching for some information about it almost three hours. You helped me a lot indeed and reading this your article I have found many new and useful information about this subject
Abilene Roofing Company

Icey Kiev said...

The were pulled upward that is why the pants look like capri. :)
what are chinos

ligaolahraga said...

thanks for article this is good article i can learn from this article