Friday, April 14, 2006

State Wildlife Areas now charge a fee

Don't look for a booth where you pay your entrance fee, but if you go on State Wildlife land, you need to have a "habitat stamp" affixed to your hunting or fishing license. What if you are a bird watcher, or flower sniffer, or some other kind of deviant that doesn't have a fishing license? You'll have to get one. They are sold where hunting and fishing gear is sold (Wal-Mart among many other places) or online, by clicking here.

A fishing license is $26. That seems pretty steep for getting into local wildlife areas, but it does come with the added bonus of "search and rescue insurance." Each license gives the same protection as a COSAR (Colorado Search and Rescue) Card, so if you get lost while at the wildlife area, searchers won't charge you for your rescue.

Not such a bad deal.

No comments: