Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A letter from the hills


Maybe you caught my story last Sunday on Citizen Chuck, a squatter who has lived in the hills above Manitou Springs for 23 years. Click here for an audio slideshow. When I was working on the story about him, I tried to track down other long-time secret residents of the hills including an intriguing figure named Poet Music Magicsong.
I knew poet had moved to Manitou Springs, but I didn't know where, and since he had no listed number or address, I canvased the town with flyers that said, basically, "Hey, Poet, I want to learn more about your time up in the mountians."
I got no response, which wasn't a huge surprise. After all, I thought, this is a guy who lived in seclusion for years. He probably doesn't want to be bothered.
I guess I was wrong. Old Poet sent me a letter this morning, full of photos of his various camps (like the one above). I was glad to have it. The few fellows who have lived like Poet for years are an overlooked part of our communal story -- a lost part of our history. It makes me feel good to know now that there is at least some record of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also knew Poet Music Magicsong, but before he changed his name. We went to college together back in the 60's at USM in Hattiesburg, MS. I often wondered what ever becoame of him. He is a few years older than I am, so he should be about 68. I would really like to email or write to him. Interesting that he would be living out in the mountains for a time. Hope to hear from somebody. Sheryl Clark Mixey

Anonymous said...

In 1983 he (Poet Music Magicsong) lived on our screened in front porch for a time. I was living in an old house with 4 other roommates as a college student at West Georgia College. He showed up one day with our one “older” roommate who was a be a professional college student). At that time, Poet was in his late 30s early 40s. He was quite the strange fellow, but very rememerable. He spoke of needing to find his transcripts because he wanted (or said he wanted) to enroll in college. I think this guy just wandered from college town to college town until he wound up in the hills of a remote Colorado town. He never had a job that I knew of. It was just kind of weird for this “old guy” living (early couch surfing) on our porch for about a month. He was way out there, and I think he probably took too much acid in the 60s.
He was definitely good for interesting conversation and yes, he showed me his court papers that showed his legal name change.
Rest In Peace, Poet! -Perry M

Anonymous said...

Previous message correction: 3rd sentence should have been: ‘He showed up one day with our one “older” roommate who was a professional college student going on his 14th year in college but still no degree yet.’