Monday, March 20, 2006

In the snow, a sign of spring

I was on a backcountry ski in Summit County Saturday when this current storm-system first moved in. A friend and I had skied to the top of 11,400-foot Georgia Pass. Just as we reached the top, the front of the storm hit. And even though it was snowing, we heard a sure sign of spring in the form of thunder grumbling up in the clouds. We didn't see any lightning. But the thunder cracked and echoed off the hills. It sounded like summer.
It won't be long now until all the snow, even in the high country, has melted away.

A big storm that was supposed to drop up to a foot of snow on Colorado Springs wasn't all it was cracked up to be. The north end of town and Woodland Park got about four inches, but the center of town got just enough to make it icy for the morning drive.
Yesterday afternoon, I was out walking with my wife in the sunshine, and she said, "You know, I hope it does snow really, really hard. I love those big storms."
And the snow swept in hard a few minutes later, but only lasted for about a half hour. Just enough to water my flowers... and freeze them.

No comments: