Monday, November 21, 2005

A question many have asked


This came to me from a reader yesterday...

"I am new to the Colorado Springs area and I really looked forward to your section of the paper on Happy Trails. Being new...I find myself wondering just where these place are for hiking. It would be nice if you added a small inset map of these places or directions and miles away from Colorado Springs. I do appreciate the boots showing the difficulty of the hike. Can you tell me where I can find a good book or map showing the hiking areas and names and locations of the parks in the Colorado Springs area so I can familiarize myself with the area? "

The best thing for every area hiker, mtn. biker, birder, skier, whatever to have is the Pikes Peak Atlas . This $13 map has all the best hiking trails as well as some elusive game paths and lots of obscure suggestions. That will get you started. Later, if you are looking for more choices, check out "Trails Guide to Denver and Pikes Peak" by Zoltan Malocsay. The layout is a bit confusing, but has lots of great trails. Also, check out our collected, pocket-sized books of Happy Trails, available at most area bookstores and outdoor shops.

As for the map inset, I agree something is needed. In the 1990s we had maps along with the hikes, but they were so inconsistent and willy nilly that we did away with them. However, now that there are so many easy mapping programs for the state that can generate a nice-looking map in minutes, we may start producing maps next year.

-Dave

No comments: