Monday, November 07, 2005

Looking for Aspen Country

The opening of a new ski resort in Colorado is a rare event. When I heard of just such a rarity in the Wet Mountains, I had to check it out.
News reports have said that Terry Cook, a Wetmore-area resident, was turning a 57-acre parcel of land into the area that he calls Aspen Country Mountain Park. It will have a double chairlift, a snow groomer and eight or nine runs for beginners and intermediates.
For weeks, I've been trying to contact Cook, and last weekend, I even set out to find this phantom ski area. I did find the road - a forest road off Colorado Highway 165 just north of Bishop's Castle - and I found what looked like a disassembled ski lift, but I've had no luck finding Cook. An Associated Press story said the area was set to open in December. Here's what it looks like now. - Deb

No comments: